Get Your MBA, Master of Beer Appreciation, or Learn about BJCP or Cicerone® Training!
Thanks for your interest in either our regular Beer MBA classes or our other beer-related training classes. Hopefully this page will answer all your questions and provide the information you need. If you still require any additional information, don't hesitate to contact us.
Beer MBA Classes
For more information on the regular Beer MBA classes, continue reading below and/or view the current Beer MBA Class Schedule.
BJCP Exam Study Groups
Beer Expert Training Classes (for the Cicerone® exams)
Also, for all of these classes, please sign up for the email list to receive occasional information on these topics.
Beer MBA Classes - More Than Just a Tasting
This is a unique opportunity for people at all knowledge levels to learn more about the World's Classic Beer Styles. As we sample each beer, we'll briefly discuss its origin, history and what makes it unique. This is a fun experience. Don't miss it!
Designed for Everyone (must be 21 years of age)
Flexible Schedule - Take Any Class in Any Order (after attending a Class 1)
Take All 3 Classes and Get Your "MBA Certificate"
Only $50 per 3-hr Class (includes free samples of all beers)
- Discounts available:
- Sign up for all 3 classes for $135 total
- Call for group discounts
Class 1 Beer Styles (Q17)
- Czech Pilsner
- American Pale Ale
- American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- American Wheat
- German Hefeweizen / Weiss
- Belgian / French Saison Ale
- Belgian Tripel Strong Ale
- Flanders Red Belgian Sour Ale
- English Ale / Extra Special Bitter (ESB)
- Scottish Export 80 Ale
- English Northern Brown Ale
- Munich Dunkel Lager
- American Robust Porter
- Irish Dry Stout
- German Doppelbock
- English Strong Barleywine
- Smoke-Flavored Beer
Class 2 Beer Styles (Q18)
- English Ale / Ordinary Bitter
- German Sour / Berliner Weisse
- German Dunkelweizen
- German Oktoberfest
- American Steam Beer
- American Amber / Red Ale
- European Dortmunder Export
- English India Pale Ale (IPA)
- German Schwarzbier
- London Brown Porter
- Sweet / Milk / Cream Stout
- Foreign Extra Strong Stout
- European Helles / Pale Bock
- Belgian Blond Strong Ale
- Belgian Dark Strong Ale
- Scottish Strong / Wee Heavy
- American Strong Barleywine
- German Smoked Rauchbier
Class 3 Beer Styles (Q17)
- Munich Helles Lager
- Belgian White / Witbier
- European / Vienna Amber
- Cologne Germany Kolsch
- English Ale / Best Bitter
- German Dusseldorf Altbier
- American Brown Ale
- American Strong Stout
- American Imperial IPA
- Belgian Farmhouse Sour Ale / Gueuze
- Belgian Sour / Fruit Lambic
- Belgian Dubbel Strong Ale
- German Weizenbock
- Russian / Baltic Strong Porter
- English Old Ale / Strong Ale
- German Eisbock (ice bier)
- Wood / Bourbon Barrel-Aged
Note: Specific beers may need to be substituted due to the availability of unique styles, but each class will always have a similarly interesting line-up.
Additional Demos & Discussions
In each class, we will discuss and sample a different set of Flavors and Common Off-Flavors found in beer.
Also in each class, there will be a brief overview of different Brewing Techniques, Processes and Ingredients.
Samples are spaced out well to avoid overindulgence, but designated drivers are always encouraged. Since the education is what is being paid for, designated drivers may not participate in the class in any way, but there is an area where they can comfortably sit and wait.
Current classes are scheduled as follows (note that more may be added or these may need to be eliminated due to demand or schedule conflicts. If a class is rescheduled you will receive a full refund or be placed in a different class at your discretion):
Current Class Schedule
Currently, we are conducting approximately 3 class series per year, in the Spring, Summer and Fall, as follows:
Saturday Classes (2:00pm - 6:00pm at Carmel Payless, see info below).
Spring 2014 Series:
- Class 1 - Saturday, February 22nd, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
- Class 2 - Saturday, March 15th, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
- Class 3 - Saturday, April 19th, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
Summer 2014 Series:
- Class 1 - Saturday, May 31st, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
- Class 2 - Saturday, June 21st, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
- Class 3 - Saturday, August 9th, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
Fall 2014 Series:
- Class 1 - Saturday, August 23rd, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
- Class 2 - Saturday, September 13th, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
- Class 3 - Saturday, October 4th, 2:00pm - 6:00pm
Note: Special Sunday Series for Servers (2:00pm - 6:00pm at location TBD), and Special Occasional Classes for Alumni (probably Saturdays at Carmel Payless) may be introduced in the future. Stay tuned.
Note: To get on our mailing list to be notified about future dates and to let us know your interest in attending future sessions, please fill out the form on the Contact page!
MAIN LOCATION - The main Beer MBA classes location is the Payless Liquors located in Carmel, at 726 Adams Street. This location is a little hard to find, but it is a great store with an excellent selection of beer and a beautiful tasting room. To get there, from Meridian Street just north of I-465, head East on West Carmel Drive past the Meijer. Stay on West Carmel Drive as it winds around heading towards Carmel. Look for a strip center on the North / East side of West Carmel Drive and turn on Adams and then into the parking lot. If you get to City Center Drive, you went a little too far, but West Carmel Drive, City Center Drive and Adams Street make a loop, so turn on City Center Drive and look again for Adams. Please park in the back of the parking lot away from the other businesses since you will be there for a while. To get to the upstairs tasting room, go to, and through, the Wine Cellar located at the back left of the store. In this Wine Cellar, there is a door that opens to the stairs that lead up to the tasting room.Top of Page
- Germany and Belgium
Trips added for 2014, 2015 and beyond. Learn more and/or sign up today!
- BJCP Study Groups, Beer Expert Training for the Cicerone® Exams and Private / Special Class Sessions Also Available
BJCP Study Groups are conducted once per year in the Fall, Beer Expert Training (for taking the Cicerone® exams) can be scheduled as needed, and special class sessions for beer distributors, wait staff and others in the beer industry can be customized to meet your needs. Private sessions for parties and events can also be arranged. See Classes for more information and/or call to discuss your needs!